Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012


























I saw a guy throw up today. It got me thinking, “You don’t see that very often.”  I was mesmerized. Watching someone blow chunks has always kind of fascinated me. In most movies, it always looks fake, but even then, I kinda like it. What is it that peaks my interest? Why do I have this weird attachment to vomit? Maybe it’s like fall. Not fail, like when you try and jump your bike over a railing or do a back flip off of a car and something goes horribly wrong and you end up planting your face right into the pavement (which inevitably causes you to Ralph.) No, I mean fall the season, autumn if you will. The leaves turn and it’s like two weeks and the trees are bare. Teachers no longer have that "start of the year" gleam in their eyes, cute little squirrels have become fat and bloated, and it’s just plain cold.

I can hear you saying, “What does any of this have to do with God?” I know I know, hang on, let me get there. Look, puking reminds me that I’m sick. We are huge failures. The Bible tells us that we are. We can’t do anything good. None of us understands God, none of us seek Him. We’re broken. I admit it. But wait, here’s the kicker: the Disciple John records this awesome conversation in the 6th chapter verse 27, “Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal. Therefore they asked Him, “What should we do so that we can work the works of God?” Jesus answered and said, “This is the work of God: that you BELIEVE in Him whom He has sent.””

Everything changes. Just like the leaves, we have a chance to drop our baggage, and start fresh. If we have faith, which is taking God at His word and responding accordingly, we can be doing what God wants us to. This comes with the promise of eternal life where we will have bodies which won’t fail and we can rest assured, there’s no throwing up either.

No comments:

Post a Comment